Tuesday 25 June 2019

AC/DC live in Athens in 2009


Back in the 80's, AC/DC was one third of what we considered to be "the holy trinity of heavy metal" (well, that's how we thought of that music at that time). The other two members of that club were Motorhead and Iron Maiden. It all started in 1982 when my friend and I made this arrangement: I would buy "For Those About To Rock" by AC/DC and she would buy "Iron Fist" by Motorhead. We would then record the album we had bought on tape and then give it to the other. A year later, I would buy "Flick Of The Switch" by AC/DC, "Another Perfect Day" by Motorhead and "Piece Of Mind" by Iron Maiden on the same day. I finally managed to see AC/DC live in Lausanne, a few years later in 1988. Later that same year, I also saw Iron Maiden live in Athens. For Motorhead I would have to wait a bit longer. I finally saw them live in Milano in 2014, a year before Lemmy left us. By then, I had already seen AC/DC live for the second time in Athens in 2009 (which is what this blog post is about) and last year I saw Iron Maiden again in Athens.
Well, in 2009 AC/DC were enjoying renewed success with their "Black Ice" album and thankfully we didn't have to go to a faraway place like Terra Vibe to see them. The concert was being held at an appropriate place for a band of that size and stature : The Athens Olympic Stadium which five years before had hosted the Olympic Games. 




We were about a month away from the start of our Bruce Springsteen's trips and several of us met there at the AC/DC concert. The band played several tracks from "Black Ice" as expected (but then again, "Rock' N' Roll Train" is such a great song) but with several tracks from "Back In Black" and "Let There Be Rock" they didn't disappoint.





After I had left the stadium, I took the train home. And that's when I realized that I had boarded a real rock 'n' roll train. They driver played "Hells Bells" through the speakers and told us that he hoped we had enjoyed ourselves!

SETLIST:
01. Rock 'N' Roll Train
02. Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be
03. Back In Black
04. Big Jack
06. Shot Down In Flames
07. Thunderstruck
08. Black Ice
10. Hells Bells
11. Shoot To Thrill
12. War Machine
13. Dog Eat Dog
14. Anything Goes
15. You Shook Me All Night Long
16. T.N.T.
17. Whole Lotta Rosie
18. Let There Be Rock
Encore:
19. Highway To Hell

No comments: