Wednesday 4 March 2020

Tiesto @ Global Dance Festival, Athens 2009


Even though we are now in the year 2020, I will continue with the "gigs I went to 10 years ago that didn't make in into the blog" theme exactly from where I left off: The second half of 2009. In that particular year I went to so may concerts that it was impossible to dig into my hard discs and memory cards to unearth all evidence within just one year. So, next in line was Tiesto. I had never gone to see a DJ playing live before. With Tiesto though, I decided to make an exception. I had become interested in his music when he was chosen to play at the Athens Olympic Games opening ceremony during the parade of the athletes. This was something new at the time and he even released part of that set as an album later. He announced a gig in Athens on the 4th of July 2009 and I was able to go to that, funnily enough, because it was a “free weekend”, meaning that I wasn't going abroad for some other concert. The previous weekend I was in London for the Hard Rock Calling festival and the following weekend I was going back to London for Oasis.

The venue was the second Olympic complex that was used in the 2004 games at the site of the old airport. It was not held on any of the arenas, but outside, in the surrounding area.

So, this in effect was an open air summer dance party. And I treated it as one. I was up close to the stage at the beginning and then I moved towards the back enjoying my drink.



There was first a DJ set by Ecotek and then the night belonged to Tiesto who played until 3 o' clock in the morning.












All in all, it was a night of summer clubbing! And the next time I experienced something (a bit) similar was when I saw The Chemical Brothers, at the same place (but in one of its indoor arenas), 9 years later.



TRACKLIST:
01. BRIGHT MORNINGSTAR - Tiesto
02. NOT ENOUGH TIME (Club Mix) - Cosmic Gate Feat. Emma Hewitt
03. U GOT 2 KNOW - Dubguru
04. LETHAL INDUSTRY (Hardwell Remix) - Tiesto
05. KIDSOS - Sebastian Ingrosso
06. I AM STRONG - Tiesto Presents Priscilla Ahn
07. EARTHQUAKE (Ali Wilson Tekelec Remix) - Little Boots
08. RYU (Laidback Luke Edit) - Avicii
09. I LOVE THE SUNSHINE (Beltek Remix) - Alan Connor And Mike Melange
10. CARPE NOCTUM – Tiesto
11. LOVE LOCKDOWN (Tiësto Remix) - Kanye West
12. OCEAN WAVE (Existone Instrumental Mix) - Aurosonic And Morphing Shadows Feat. Marcis
13. I WILL BE HERE - Tiësto Feat. Sneaky Soundsystem
14. WE ARE THE PEOPLE (Wawa Remix) - Empire Of The Sun
15. MY OTHERSIDE - Red Hot Chilli Peppers Vs. Benny Benassi
16. LOVE COMES AGAIN - Tiësto Feat. BT
17. TRAFFIC (DJ Montana Edit) - Tiesto
18. DANCE4LIFE (Berlin Edit) - Tiësto Feat. Maxi Jazz
19. NO MORE HEROES - Tiësto And Blue Man Group
20. BACK IN YOUR HEAD (Tiësto Remix) - Tegan And Sara
21. I’M NOT ALONE (Tiësto Remix) - Calvin Harris
22. HEADS WILL ROLL (Tiësto Remix) - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
23. ONE MORE CHANCE (Tiësto Remix) - Bloc Party
24. LOUDER THAN BOOM - Tiësto
25. CHASE THE JUPITER (Ernesto And Bastian Mashup) - Ernesto And Bastian Vs. Planet Funk
26. JUST BE - Tiesto
27. INVISIBLE TOUCH (Ferry Corsten’s Touch) - Bobina
28. OLYMPIC FLAME - Tiesto
29. HE’S A PIRATE (Album Version) - Tiësto
30. FOREVER TODAY - Tiësto
31. DEPARTURE - Dave 202
32. FLIGHT 643 (Richard Durand Remix) - Tiësto
33. COFFEE BREAK - Mark Norman
34. THE SCIENTIST (Guy Mearns Remix) - Mark Norman
35. MADAGASCAR (Richard Durand Remix) - Art Of Trance
36.THE WOLF - Paul Webster
37.ISTANBUL (Fred Baker Remix) - Paul Webster
38. FORGIVEN - The Mystery
39. CARTE BLANCHE (Scot Project Quick Remix) - Veracocha
40. INSIDE ME - Marcel Woods
41. KERNKRAFT 400 (Laidback Luke Edit) - Marcel Woods
42. ADAGIO FOR STRINGS - Tiesto


No comments: