Wednesday 30 November 2022

Release Athens Festival 2022 - Iggy Pop & Liam Gallagher


 
 I chose this, as my last date of this year's Release Festival because, well, I had seen Noel Gallagher before (as well as Oasis just a few days before they split up), so it was fair and proper that I should see Liam Gallagher as well (although Liam may not actually agree with that!). On the plus side, I wouldn't mind seeing Iggy Pop again as well whom I had seen at the same festival and at the same venue back in 2019. I had seen Noel Gallagher play support to U2, so now I would see Liam Gallagher play support to Iggy Pop. And as an added bonus, I'd also see the Sleaford Mods, who had come to Greece before and I had wanted to see them and know more about them since I first discovered them on an Uncut (or Mojo?) cover CD and understood that they were some sort of protest band for Britain in the 2010's.

 
As you can guess, I arrived in time for Sleaford Mods and once again I met most of my friends that I usually meet at gigs. This time there were more of them as Iggy tends to attract Bruce fans. Sleaford Mods were exactly what I had expected them to be (one of their members was sporting a t-shirt with a rather unflattering message for Boris Johnson), but they had something extra for me: a cover of Yazoo's "Don't Go".


 


It was then time for Liam Gallagher. During the break I managed to locate some of my closest gig buddies, people with whom we had spent hours in the pit at Bruce Springsteen concerts, so I went with them to the very front (donning a mask of course). I was in fact asked by one of them if I was an Oasis or a Blur fan in the 90's and that brought back some memories! Truth is, although I had started as a Blur fan, I thought they went downhill after "Country House", so I switched to Oasis. And Liam himself didn't disappoint. He came up on stage wearing a rather heavy jacket, certainly too heavy for the Athenian weather which was pretty close to heatwave temperatures. Every once in a while, before launching into an Oasis song he would ask us whether there were "any Oasis fans in the audience'. However he also played Beady Eye songs and of course his solo stuff. Towards the end of his set he asked us whether there were "any Slipknot fans in the audience". And then he played "Wonderwall". Go figure... He also played one song ("Stand By Me") from Oasis' third album, one that Oasis wouldn't touch with a flagpole in their latter days.




 


 
 


 
And then it all ended wonderfully with "Champagne Supernova"

 
I went back to get some pizza and beer and by the time I had finished eating Iggy came on stage. It felt like not a single day had passed since 2019. when he had started with "I Wanna Be Your Dog". Earlier on, as we were watching Liam Gallagher, a friend of mine who had looked up his setlists on the internet told me that he kept playing the same setlist night after night and it was mostly comprised of Stooges songs However, the setlist we heard that night was completely different. And what was immediately apparent was that Iggy had a problem with his voice. It later turned out that he had changed the setlist because of this very problem and that he cancelled his further shows for the same reason. Did I have a problem with that? As I'd already told my friends Iggy is at a stage in his life and career that he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. So even if he had decided to come up on stage and f*rt to the tune of "The Passenger", I would still be happy. He did of course play Stooges songs as well and as he was naked from the waist up as usual. Plus, he had a very beautiful female guitar player in his band!


 


 

Back in 2019 I went to see Iggy Pop because he was so popular in Greece and I had never seen him live (I had done the same thing with Nick Cave a year before that). And no matter what voice problems he has I will probably go see him for a third time if he decides to come back to Greece. 


 
SETLISTS:
SLEAFORD MODS
01. The New Brick
02. Shortcummings
04. Spare Ribs
05. I Don't Rate You
06. Kebab Spider
07. Mork N Mindy
08. Thick Ear
09. TCR
10. Jolly Fucker
12. Nudge It
13. Elocution
14. Discourse
15. Tied Up In Nottz
16. Jobseeker
17. Tweet Tweet Tweet

LIAM GALLAGHER
01. Hello
03. Morning Glory
04. Wall Of Glass
05. Everything's Electric
06. Better Days
07. Stand By Me
08. Roll It Over
09. Slide Away
12. Diamond In The Dark
13. Once
14. Cigarettes & Alcohol
16. Champagne Supernova

IGGY POP
01. Rune
02. T.V. Eye
03. I Wanna Be Your Dog
04. Lust For Life
06. Five Foot One
07. Mass Production
08. Free
09. Run Like A Villain
10. I'm Sick Of You
11. Death Trip
12. Nightclubbing
Encore:
14. Gimme Danger
15. Down On The Street
17. Sister Midnight
 





No comments: