Wednesday 13 April 2022

Mark Lanegan & Isobel Campbell live in Athens December 2010

I first noticed this duo the previous time they had come to Athens. I had gone to another gig at Gagarin back then and I noticed the promo clip playing for the Lanegan / Campbell appearance on the video screens of the venue. What caught my attention was one of the songs featured in the clip. One that went "I'm always looking for the sun". This was actually called "Falling From Grace" and it was from one of Isobel Campbell's projects called The Gentle Waves. I didn't manage to go to the gig at that time, but I decided that the next time they came to Athens, I would attend. And finally that time had come in December 2010.
Support was provided by Greek band Tango With Lions whose song "In A Bar" was quite popular at that time.
 

 


And then it was time for the main act. Although it wasn't quite what I had expected, the truth is I've loved it. Several of my friends had also come and opinions were varying. Some people thought it was boring. The thing is, I've always liked this type of music. Meaning those really slow, soft songs with the almost "ethereal" female vocals. The closest example that comes to my mind is Mazzy Star, from the mid 90's. What must be noted, however, was that this project was a personal one of Campbell's. She had written the songs, and she had also produced their latest album "HAWK". As one of my friends remarked "we came here to see the son of Tom Waits and we got Belle And Sebastian instead. This woman has really mellowed him out". (Isobel Campbell had been a member of Belle And Sebastian in the past). That remark made me want to see Lanegan live by himself and less than 18 months later, I would also get that chance. 

 

 

At the merchandise stand I found a selection of live CD's self-released by Mark Lanegan and I bought one of a gig with Isobel Campbell. 

I would finally get to see Mark Lanegan live by himself 16 months later, Sadly, he is no longer with us...

SETLIST:
01. We Die And See Beauty Reign
02. You Won't Let Me Down Again
03. Come Undone
04. Snake Song
05. Who Built The Road
06. Free To Walk
07. Honey Child What Can I Do?
08. The Circus Is Leaving Town
09. To Hell And Back Again
10. Saturday's Gone
11. Back Burner
12. Time Of The Season
13. Something To Believe
14. Salvation
15. Come On Over (Turn Me On)
16. Get Behind Me
Encore:
17. Revolver
18. (Do You Wanna) Come Walk With Me?
19. Ramblin' Man
20. Wedding Dress




No comments: